Frequently Asked Questions
You must be 18 years of age or older
Ontario Residents, must qualify under OHIP exclusions and have a third-party payor as listed below:
- AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE: Auto insurance policies are specifically excluded from the general prohibition against
contracts of insurance for the payment of the costs of services insured by OHIP. All auto insurance policies provide for
certain “medical benefits” including all reasonable and necessary expenses for medical and hospital services, and
any related assessments or examinations, incurred by an insured person as a result of an automobile accident.
- WSIB: Services that a person is entitled to receive under the insurance plan established pursuant to the
Workplace Safety and Insurance Act are not services insured by OHIP. A worker who sustains a personal injury by
accident arising out of and in the course of his employment is entitled to such health care (including services
provided by a physician/hospital) as may be necessary, appropriate and sufficient as a result of the injury, with the
costs of such health care to be paid by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
- THIRD PARTY SERVICES: A “third party service” is a service that is provided to a person by a physician, hospital or
other service provider in connection with a request or requirement, made by a third party, that the service be
provided to the person, or that information relating to the person be provided to the third party. The third party that
makes the request or requirement is liable for payment to the service provider for the service provided to the
person. Specified third party services that are not insured by OHIP are those which are received wholly or partly for
the production of a document, or the transmission of information to the third party, if the document or the
information relates to:
- admission to/continued attendance in a school/educational program
- admission to/continued attendance in a recreational/athletic club/program
- an application for/continuation of insurance
- an application for/continuation of a license
- entering/maintaining a contract
- an entitlement to benefits, including insurance or pension benefits
- obtaining/continuing employment
- an absence from/return to work
- legal requirements/proceedings
- OTHER NON-OHIP: Some health care services are otherwise excluded from services insured by OHIP under provincial
regulations (e.g. exam not meeting specific OHIP criteria for particular body part, exam in support of treatment
considered experimental, exam for purpose of clinical research, etc.)
- NON-RESIDENT: Only persons who are ordinarily resident in Ontario, as well as certain other persons deemed to be
residents under provincial regulations, are entitled to receive OHIP-insured services without charge. Therefore,
services provided to non-residents of Ontario are not insured by OHIP.
Yes, a signed Physician’s referral is required.
Upon receiving all necessary documents, you may be booked within 24 to 72 hours.
MedCentra is proudly affiliated with St Michael’s Hospital and Markham Stouffville Hospital.